• The server migration is complete. Please let Viqsi know (in Forum Business/Rules/Discussion) if anything seems weird or broken.

What Republicans Thneed

If you haven’t heard, Dr. Seuss is canceled and it is all the Democrats fault. The canceling has gotten so bad that Dr. Seuss’ remaining books are rocketing to the top of the best seller lists. Conservatives are posting pictures of themselves reading the books on Twitter. I’m just glad they are reading books. For those who have made it this far in life without hearing about this story, first of all, I’m jealous, but here are the cliff notes. The Dr. Seuss Foundation, which owns the publishing rights of the late Dr. Seuss’s books, announced that it would no longer be printing six books from the author’s prolific collection due to the Foundation’s discomfort with racially insensitive portrayals of characters in those books. That’s it. That’s the whole story.

Except for the reaction. To members of the GOP, including elected officials, the actions of this private organization is just another example of the Democrats’ cancel culture. How? Well, because. I know what you’re thinking. There has to be more than that. There has to be some logical reason for this. Trust me, I was there with you. There isn’t. Instead, conservatives have rewarded the Foundation with lots of money for choosing to not publish racist motifs. On another note, if anyone wants to cancel me by giving me lots of money, I’m listening. But for now, conservatives are just reading Dr. Seuss.

Frankly, I have no problem with this. I just hope they read The Lorax. For those that missed it in second grade, the Lorax is a anthropomorphic figure who speaks for the Truffula trees. The Once-ler comes into the Lorax’s valley and cuts down the Truffula trees in order to produce a thneed, a popular garment. The popularity of the garment leads to the overharvesting of the Truffula trees, until the Once-ler’s business fails because there are no Truffula trees left. The whole story is a parable about the importance of environmentalism and how we have to be dutiful shepherds of nature even if it means tempering business success. Not only that, but business success relies upon being careful with consumption of nature.

What a lesson.

While it may be telling that it could take a children’s book to teach conservatives about the dangers of over consumption and its consequence, climate change, it is nice that they may potentially grasp the message. Clearly an increase in wild climate events, including increasingly dangerous hurricane seasons, massive cold snaps (including the one I wrote about the last two weeks), and wildfires across the West Coast, did nothing to deter their staunch belief that profit should be pursued at all costs. Well, unless the cost is not publishing racist books.

Hopefully this return to Seuss will serve the Republicans well and will lead to a strong investment in green energy and other infrastructure improvements designed to stave off climate change. Investing in energy sources such as solar, wind, hydro, thermal, and nuclear would lead to thousands of well-paying jobs, and these energy sources can be placed around the country, including, perhaps, in places that have faced or will face downturns due to the turn away from coal and other fossil fuels. However, the investments need not end there. America could use investments in other green energy policies, such as credits for retrofitting buildings with green windows and insulation.

At this point, unless people like Republicans care a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not. So let’s hope this rush to buy Dr. Seuss helps some Republicans care, to invest in infrastructure and get some fresh air.

Back